Faith Day and Celebration of Excellence
On October 21, 2019, all staff from the Superior North Catholic District School Board gathered together for our annual Faith Development Day. It was an opportunity for our staff to reflect on their faith and ignite hope to bring back to our classrooms to inspire our students. Young people are the hope for the future and as teachers and leaders, it is our responsibility to support their dreams for a better world.
Trustees, Senior Administration, Principals, Teachers, Early Childhood Educators, Educational Assistants, Administrative Assistants, Custodians, Cleaners and Catholic Education Centre Staff gathered at St. Edward Catholic School in Nipigon. The day began with all staff attending mass officiated by Most Rev. F. J. Colli, D.D. at the Church of the Annunciation in Nipigon. Thank you to the Catholic Women's League for their wonderful welcome and breakfast feast they provided our staff as they arrived.
Following mass, staff gathered at St. Edward Catholic School in Nipigon with opening remarks from Maria Vasanelli, Director of Education. Ms. Vasanelli reminded all staff of the importance of Catholic education and thanked all Superior North Catholic District School Board staff for their contributions and day to day efforts to ensure authentic Catholic education for all and for making a difference in the lives of our students! The Keynote Speaker for the event was Rev. Msgr. P.M. Stilla, V.G. The day was truly a day of learning and strengthening of our commitment to Catholic education.
The Board’s 24th Annual Celebration of Excellence was held during lunch to honour employees for their dedication and years of service to Superior North Catholic District School Board. The MC for the celebration was Rima Mounayer, Superintendent of Education.
Following a delicious meal, staff were recognized and received their pin for 5, 10, 15 and 20 years of service with Superior North Catholic District School Board.
- Gary Bisson, Catholic Education Centre
- Kim Bennet, Holy Saviour Catholic School
- Kimberly Wright, St. Edward Catholic School
- Misty Scott, St. Martin Catholic School
- Aloysius Coffey, Our Lady of Fatima
- Katie Hara, Holy Angels Catholic School
- Allison Hester, Holy Saviour Catholic School
- Cassandra Foulds, St. Edward Catholic School
- Mary Keyter, St. Martin Catholic School
- Lynn Jankowski, Our Lady of Fatima Catholic School
- Mandy Salvador, St. Martin Catholic School
- Joselyne Cloutier, St. Joseph Catholic School
- April Moore, Holy Angels Catholic School
- Mary Pat Russell, St. Martin Catholic School
- Chereyl Marino, Trustee
The Board acknowledged and celebrated the contributions of Retirees:
- Dorothee Desilets, Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School
- Jocelyne Moore, Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School
- Clare Milks, Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School
- Kathy Koistinen, St. Edward Catholic School
- Joel Dupuis, St. Edward Catholic School
The Good Shepherd Award was given to five recipients this year. The Good Shepherd Award honours a person or group who models the qualities of a Good Shepherd and has made an outstanding contribution to Catholic Education through their dedication and/or devotion to the Superior North Catholic District School Board community. Any person within the Superior North Catholic District School Board community may nominate a person or group.
Congratulations to Sarah Clowes, Dorothee Desilets, Benjamin Jewiss, Laureen Kay and Susan Lemieux — our 2019 Good Shepherd Award Recipients. Through the nominations received it was evident that each of them have gone above and beyond to contribute to the enhancement of Catholic education!
The staff at Superior North Catholic School Board finished the day with a deeper appreciation and understanding of what it means to work in a faith-based system, and are excited to continue to work together and bring their learning back to their classrooms and students!"Together We Educate Heart, Mind and Soul."