New for Indigenous Education for 2016
What’s to come in the new School Year of 2016-2017?
- Cultural Sensitivity Training
- Blanket Exercise
- Treaty Week
- Louis Riel Day
- Doctor Chief Wilton Littlechild (commissioner Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada) speaks at our professional activity day.
- Doctor Sean Lessard speaks at our professional activity day.
- Aboriginal Day
- Powwow Events
- Baseline Data
- Elder/Knowledge Keeper/Senator Contact List
- First Nations Métis Intuit Resources
- The Expansion of the Indigenous Education Advisory Council
This week the Student Community Engagement Leads were busy preparing and gathering resources for the new National Language Curriculum Teachers. The Student Community Engagement Leads used their Indigenous Education contacts as well as First Nation community elders, service providers and members to share their resources.
Upon meeting with Jody Weller, Superintendent of Education, it was decided that Superior North Catholic District School Board has plenty of effective and updated resources to share.
The shared important Native Language and Culture resources such as:
- Native Language Curriculum
- Toolkit for Teachers
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls for Action
- Sharing our Way
The Student Community Engagement Leads also developed a resource hardcopy for the National Language Curriculum teachers with online resources, hardcopy lists and First Nation Community Knowledge Keepers. The bags of resources will be presented to the principals at the meeting next week to provide to their school NLC Teacher. The Student Community Engagement Leads will also provide copies of the TRC Calls for Action Document to each principal.
The Student Community Engagement Leads also worked on the Mental Health Strategy, Suicide Protocol and the Ministry Final Report. September makes for a very busy month for reporting and establishing new goals and measuring successes for Indigenous Education and School Mental Health ASSIST.