There have been numerous cases of Covid-19 (Coronavirus) reported in Ontario. This illness is closely monitored by Public Health agencies in
Canada and around the world. The Public Health Agency of Canada has assessed the public health risk associated with the Covid19 as low
Superior North Catholic District School Board strives to maintain a culture of safety and well being in all of our schools. Student and staff safety is at the highest priority for everyone. We will be working closely with the Ministry of Education and our public health partners including the Thunder Bay District Health Unit to ensure the safety of all.
The Thunder Bay District Health Unit is urging the public to protect themselves and others against illness-causing germs that spread through the respiratory route (coughing, sneezing) by:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water, or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer;
- Covering your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your arm, not your hand;
- Staying home if you are sick, if possible;
- Avoiding visiting people in hospitals or long-term care homes if you are sick; and
- Getting your flu shot if you haven’t already done so as the flu virus is still circulating in the community. The flu shot is available from health care providers as well as pharmacies. For those under the age of five without a health care provider, please call the Health Unit at 625-5900 and ask to speak with a vaccine nurse.
We will ensure that our schools and custodial staff have the resources and appropriate training to ensure that our schools continue to be safe and clean for students and staff. An emphasis will be placed on cleaning “high-touch” surfaces (e.g. pencil sharpeners, water fountain knobs and push buttons, doorknobs, faucet handles, toys and electronic devices). Additionally, a concerted effort will be made to reinforce the importance of regular hand washing and cough/sneeze etiquette.
Recommended websites for more information
We will also continue working with the Ministry of Education and provincial and local public health partners and keep you updated as the situation evolves. The safety of our students and staff is our number one priority.
March 31, 2020
The Ontario Ministry of Education announced an extended period of school closures for all publicly funded schools due to continued concerns over the coronavirus (COVID-19).
The Superior North Catholic District School Board schools will remain closed until May 4, 2020.
March 22, 2020
March 13, 2020
March 12, 2020
The Ontario Ministry of Education announced the closure of all publicly funded schools due to concerns over the coronavirus (COVID-19).
This means that Ontario schools, including all Superior North Catholic District School Board schools have been ordered to remain closed from March 14 through to April 5, 2020.
We recognize the significant impact this decision will have on our families and students, but this precaution is necessary to keep people safe.
We will be sharing additional details as we receive them.